Here at JUICE it is never too early to talk about Halloween, especially since it means we can dress up at the office without any judgement! So in the spirit of helping everyone accept the start of Fall and get ready for Halloween, we wanted to share our top 10 favorite, but also just weird, facts about the upcoming holiday!
1. Halloween is the second most profitable American holiday for retailers right after Christmas, with Americans spending $8.4million in 2016.
2. The most expensive costume on the internet is the Wally Lion mascot at a whopping $2,515.
3. People are still very into candy corn with nearly 35 million pounds being produced each year.
4. More than twice as much chocolate is sold for Halloween as for Valentine’s Day; 90 million pounds of chocolate are sold during Halloween week alone. In total, $1.9 billion is spent on Halloween candy each year.
5. 35% of Americans buy Halloween themed greeting cards – according to Hallmark that’s 20 millions cards sent each year.
6. 34% of shoppers start planning their Halloween shopping as early as September or before, I like to refer to this as efficiency!
7. One of the weirdest and also most inappropriate costumes of 2016 – The sexy Ebola costume.
8. There’s a $1,000 fine for using or selling Silly String in Hollywood on Halloween.
9. Jack-o’-lanterns, believed to be originated in Ireland, used to be carved from turnips, potatoes or beets.
10. 27.7 million Americans will purchase costumes for their pets and will spend a total of $350 million dollars. The top costume – pumpkins and hotdogs, seems like the obvious choice!
Did we get you excited? Well no time like the present to start planning out your costume for this year – just please no Ebola themed looks! Here are the top trending 2017 costumes.
–National Retail Federation
– NBC Los Angeles